- Aviemore, 5 miles from the cottages is the main town in Speyside. It has banks, supermarkets, shops, cafes, restaurants and bars.
- It is on the main railway line with direct connections to London, Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
- Extensive range of bus routes pass through Aviemore.
- Inverness Airport 25 miles away offers flights to a variety of destinations including London and Amsterdam.
- The Speyside Railway (steam trains) runs from Aviemore to Broomhill through Boat of Garten.
- The Speyside Way, the long distance walk goes from Kinguissie to Buckie on the Moray Coast.
- In Aviemore the Cairngorm Brewery offers tours and tasting of its products.
- Aviemore has a swimming pool, theatre and a night club.
- It has a TESCO, CO-OP and ALDI’s supermarket as well as a Marks and Spencer food outlet at the BP filling station.
- Aviemore is the gateway to the Cairngorm Mountain Resort with skiing in winter and all year climbing, walking and funicular railway.
- The Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig is within easy reach and has Polar Bears, Tigers, Monkeys amongst its captive guests.
- Loch Insh near Kincraig offers sailing and wind surfing.